If all you know about your rights when being stopped by the police is what you see on Live PD. Print this post. Clip this Post. Put it in your wallet or purse. Then call us to tell us about your particular case. 206.467.5987
Know your rights when stopped by the police:
1. You have the right to remain silent. You can and should choose not to answer any and all questions by law enforcement. “I’m sorry officer I’m not going to answer questions.” Clearly you should be very polite about this.
2. You also have the right to not be searched unless there is a search warrant or one of the exceptions to that requirement. What you need to know is that you have the right to not consent to searches. “I do not consent to a search, officer.”
3. If you are driving, in Washington State, you must provide your driver’s license, proof of insurance, and registration, if you are pulled over.
4. You do not have to submit to any field sobriety tests, as those are voluntary. Refusing them will not affect the status of your license.
5. You do not have to submit to a Portable Breath Test (“PBT”). The PBT is one of the field sobriety tests, and you do not need to consent to such an exam. Refusing to do so will not affect the status of your license.
6. If you are nevertheless arrested and taken to the police station, you should do the Breath Alcohol Concentration (“BAC”) exam. If you refuse, then your license will be revoked for two years.
7. You have the right to an attorney. You can ask for that attorney at any time during your interaction with the police.
8. You can video record the police – it is not against the law.
If you are arrested, or you suspect you are being investigated by the police, call us, Espada LAW FIRM:
1 (844) WA-FELONY.
We represent individuals accused of serious crimes, felonies, assault, sexual assault, domestic violence, drug charges, firearms charges, DUI, and much more. We have represented clients in almost every court in the Puget Sound region, along with many others throughout the rest of Washington State.
Espada Law Firm:
Criminal Trials & Appeals
Toll free: 1 (844) WA-FELONY
Espada Law Firm, P.S.
Local: 1 (206) 467-5987
Fax: 1 (888) 234-9033
1001 Fourth Ave., Ste. 3200
Seattle, WA 98154